First day of summer! Why spend it in the kitchen? Years ago, a friend of mine made me my first Tomato, Basil Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Loved it. It’s delicious and super easy to make — and satisfying. This sandwich has a little bit of a kick to it — balsamic vinegar.
- 8 slices of Italian Bread
- 8 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 2 large roma tomatoes, sliced
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
On four slices of bread, layer cheese and tomatoes. Sprinkle basil and vinegar. Top with remaining bread. In a small bowl, combine oil, cheese and garlic powder. Brush over the outsides of each sandwich. Heat a small skillet. Toast sandwiches until golden brown on both sides and cheese is melted.